Monday, June 21, 2004

The Terminal

The weekend is over and the results are in. "Dodgeball" was the highest grossing movie of the week, smashing it's opening-weekend competition, "The Terminal" starring Tom Hanks and directed by Steven Spielberg.

I didn't get to go see "Dodgeball" (but believe me, I want to) but I did catch "The Terminal." I've read some reviews and seen some reviews on TV and some of them have been less-than-flattering. Please let me take this time out to encourage you to ignore those reviews and check it out for yourself.

I hate to tell people to go see movies because when people tell ME that a movie is amazing and what have you, my expectations are always really high and inevitably I am disappointed. I don't want to do that to you. But I do want to encourage you to check it out. Tom Hanks does an amazing job and by the first 5 minutes, I forgot that I was watching "Tom Hanks."

Two fun things to talk about after the film is over:

1. It was inspired by actual events. If you pass it off as "oh that could never happen," then know this. There is a guy (I believe from a middle Eastern country) who has been living in a French airport for the last fifteen years.

2. You'd think they had to shut down parts of an airport in order to film everything, but they actually REBUILT AN AIRPORT TERMINAL inside of two huge airplane hangars, and you'd never know. Amazing.

But now I'm ready to grab life by the ball....

No comments: