Thursday, September 23, 2010

Kids Music and Me

I've been editing and putting together goofy little videos since I was around 15 years old. Unlike today, personal computers weren't something every household had and high schools weren't even close to offering video editing courses. iMovie and Windows Movie Maker weren't even on my radar and I was editing movies by hooking up my video camera to my VCR and pressing "Pause" and "Record" at the right place. It took forever and the video distortion lines that would pop up every time I paused the VCR were annoying to say the least. I wasn't able to stop and check how it was coming along for fear I lose my exact place and end up with a couple of frames of black and white "snow" in between shots, so when I put my early videos together, it was done with a "Wow I hope this is turning out OK" prayer repeatedly running through my head.

In 2003 I bought my first video editing software for my computer and decided to teach myself how to edit digitally. I was living in Nashville and had plenty of time on my hands. The very first thing I edited on the computer was a music video. I wasn't looking to do anything epic, just something really basic and somewhat short to jump in with. The shortest song I could find was on an old Sesame Street CD and the final thing came out looking like this:

For my first stab at it, I still think it turned out OK. It's goofy and dorky and ridiculous so I guess it fits me pretty well.

Since then, between videos I've done for work and stuff I've fiddled around with on my own, I've put together just about 700 videos. Zoinks. I didn't realize that number was so high until just now.Granted, some of them don't really involve a lot of editing but hey, 700 is 700.

The latest video I worked on was one for ukulele singer/songwriter Phredd. The whole text-only video thing is pretty big right now, and we've never shied away from a trend. His song "Text the Cell" was perfect for this style.

It was fun putting it together. A lot more went into it than one might think, but I love the simplicity of it and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I started my video-editing adventures with a kids song...and 700 videos later it's still something I enjoy going back to.

But that doesn't mean if I saw The Wiggles on the side of the highway I wouldn't swerve to avoid them. I mean, come on.

1 comment:

Fred McNaughton said...

Dear Eddie,

This is a brilliant video, and you are brilliant, and please don't hurt the Wiggles...They're Australian!!!!

Love,


Phredd