Friday, October 10, 2014

Got "Gotham?"

I'm not really much of a comic book hero fan and the recent influx of Marvel movies hasn't made the genre any more appealing to me - in fact, it's kind of had the opposite effect (I will, however, be looking forward to this one).

I guess that's why "Gotham" has been such a pleasant surprise to watch this season. I've always enjoyed the Batman mythology (I've tried to wipe the Joel Shumacher movie versions from my memory) but by no means do I consider myself an expert (I've never read a comic in my life). To see this interesting twist on the Caped Crusader mythology has been refreshing. Rather than repeat the same origin story over and over again (like the Spider-Man movies seem to insist on doing every 5 years) or try to tackle FX-heavy plotlines on a television-scale budget (nothing takes me out of a story more than horrible CGI), Gotham has found a way to keep one foot planted in the mythos and the other in original storytelling.

The ratings seem to reflect that I'm not the only one enjoying the ride (as opposed to the ratings tailspin Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is struggling to pull out of) and I only hope the writers can keep up with the high bar they've set for themselves.

No comments: