Friday, December 01, 2017

Top 10 Video Games of 2017

Well, it's that time of year again. Time for me to look back at the games I played over the last year and try to whittle them down to the 10 that stood out to me the most. As is my usual MO, I'll begin by stressing that these are my personal favorites of the year. I'm not saying I'm right. I'm not saying you're wrong. You may agree. You may disagree. I'm just here to give props to the people who put in some incredible work to entertain my dorky self. 

This year was a little tougher for me when it came to choosing 10 because a lot of my gaming time was spent on games that didn't come out in 2017 (and, according to the rules I have set for myself, disqualifies them from appearing on the final list). Not only did I spend time re-visiting some of my favorites from years past (The Wolf Among Us), I also invested a large number of hours in games I haven't been able to put down since first picking them up (Overwatch, LEGO Dimensions).

Before I begin the list, I'd like to give props to the games that almost made it into the Top 10. Sniper Elite 4 was just as much head-asplodin' fun as I hoped it would be, Persona 5 probably would have made it if I'd been able to finish it (I forgot to mention that even though I love video games, I'm not very good at them), LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 is the massive sandbox I'd heard it was going to be (in a good way), and even though I didn't play the first one The Evil Within 2 still drew me in and kept me on the edge of my seat.

NOTE: Although my list is numbered, it's not in a specific order, but is instead an attempt to keep my jumbled thoughts organized. If it's on the list, it's a favorite, and #10 comes just as highly recommended as #1. So yeah. Just get 'em all and you'll be good.

OK, here we go...


10. WHAT REMAINS OF EDITH FINCH

If you know me, you know how important storytelling is, and if you played What Remains of Edith Finch, then you know why it's on the list. More than just the heart-breaking analysis of the Finch family tree, this game stands out for how the story unfolds.

Told in a non-linear style that makes the player fill in the gaps and put the pieces together on their own, it's a smart game that refuses to spoon feed. The writers are particularly skilled at creating suspense by allowing the story to unfold exactly how you expect one moment (that moment on the swing!), how you least expect the next, and then letting you think you know how it's going to unfold (I was convinced I was going to slice off my hand in the fish cannery) and letting you dangle in excruciating anticipation.

Special kudos goes out to the talented Valerie Rose Lohman who voices the main character in a wonderful performance that very easily could have veered into the melodramatic but instead balances out the fantastic with realism, grounding it all and adding a sorrowful truthfulness to the proceedings.

9. THE WALKING DEAD: A NEW FRONTIER

Considering how long Telltale Games has been cranking out titles in The Walking Dead franchise, there's really no excuse for the stories to have remained as good as they are. The series doesn't seem to be getting the buzz it once did, but that's through no fault of the storytellers. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier is another stellar addition to the collection and the writers continue to hammer out compelling stories that do exactly what the cliffhanger ending of each episode is supposed to do: Leave your palms sweating at what just transpired and eager to get to the next chapter.

In A New Frontier we're introduced to Javier and his family, a new set of characters that struggles with the line between right and wrong and explores what happens when loved ones end up on opposite sides.  

I was especially impressed with the writing staff in this go-around because nothing is sacred. The heroine Clementine, whom we've grown to know and love throughout each iteration, is growing up and her choices aren't always the most heroic. I love that she does things I don't agree with and there's something oddly commendable about her good guy white hat gradually becoming grayer and grayer.

8. SOUTH PARK: PHONE DESTROYER

I've tried Gwent. I've tried Hearthstone. I've never been able to connect to a card playing, PVP game much to the chagrin of my card-playing, PVP game-loving friends.

I thought nothing could distract me from my other mobile game staples like Ballz, Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff, and The Simpsons: Tapped Out...but then along came ManBearPig and company and I. Am. Hooked. 

South Park: Phone Destroyer, to me at least, doesn't seem incredibly different from its competitors on paper, but once you add these so-wrong-they're-hilarious Coloradans into the equation, you have my attention.

Yes, there was a bit of a learning curve, mostly because this isn't the genre of game I excel at, but my enjoyment helped me stick with it, despite one four-hour stretch early on where I didn't win a single PVP match. Normally I would declare enough is enough and set the game aside but this time around was different. I finally figured out what I needed to be doing, regrouped, and came back a bit stronger and wiser. I still lose a good percentage of the time, but I'm having way too much fun while I'm losing to care.

7. DISHONORED: DEATH OF THE OUTSIDER


Speaking of not being very good at games, I'm horrible at stealth games. Like really, really bad. I can sneak up on a guy and choke him out and feel all successful and ninja-y for a few seconds, but eventually it's all going to go horribly wrong, usually sooner rather than later. I push a wrong button, I get spotted and panic, and before you know it, it's a free-for-all. Swords are swinging, guns are firing at nothing, and I'm sprinting headfirst into walls.

Because of that reason, I really shouldn't have enjoyed Dishonored: Death of the Outsider as much as I did. Sure, you can go in guns blazing if you'd like, but as bad as I am at stealth, I'm even worse at handling blazing guns. This game is so much fun, though, even trying to be stealthy is a heck of a good time. No matter how slowly I crept, how much time I spent planning an exit strategy, I knew it would go sour and I also knew I'd be failing with a big stupid grin on my face.

I've enjoyed each installment in the Dishonored series and once again Bethesda managed to one-up themselves. Introducing some clever and fun mechanics into the gameplay I was already familiar with injected the entire experience with a shot of adrenaline and kept me on my toes. With a huge variety of secrets and challenges to find and play through on each level, there's plenty of replay value to be had. And trust me, it will be had.


6. HORIZON ZERO DAWN


Because of my general lack of interest in fantasy-themed games, I almost missed one of the best of the year. Almost. I saw the way the main character, Aloy, in Horizon Zero Dawn was dressed in her primitive garb, armed with a bow, and immediately wrote it off as a For Honor/The Witcher hybrid (Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying those games are bad. I know they both have a well-deserved, very loyal fan base, but they're a genre that never got their hooks in me). I couldn't have been more wrong.


Fortunately for me, I'm lucky enough to have guys like my pal Chris McCrackin in my ear, whose opinion I highly esteem and who had previously convinced me - much to my pleasant surprise - to jump aboard the Metal Gear Solid V train. After hearing him rave about how much he was enjoying HZD I decided to give it a shot, remembering how correctly he'd steered me in the past.

I'm glad to report Chris was spot on once again. I had completely mis-judged this game based on the little gameplay I had seen and had no idea how much fun I had coming my way. I found myself easily engulfed in the world and story and gleefully looked forward to the next time I could fire up the PlayStation. You steered me right, Chris. You steered me right.

5. ASSASSIN'S CREED: ORIGINS



When I describe how much I like the latest installment in the Assassin's Creed series by exclaiming, "It doesn't even feel like an Assassin's Creed game!" I realize it sounds like I'm not a fan of the franchise. Quite the contrary. Not only do I look forward to the release of each new title, I'm pretty sure I'm the only gamer in the world who finds the present-day Abstergo storylines just as interesting as the historical time of the assassins.

This time around Ubisoft has taken everything I've loved about the games so far - mixing it with some of the better Far Cry features - and laced them with Lance Armstrong-strength performance-enhancements. From eagle companions to exciting fighting mechanics  to laser loot-finding vision to an intriguing all-encompassing story, Assassin's Creed: Origins has presented me with one of the most thrilling, visually stunning sandboxes in which to play. 

It's a huge game with a seemingly endless supply of missions to undertake and is a solid example of why I love the single player game experience. I've heard grumbles about games being too big and it's quite frankly a complaint I've never been able to comprehend. When something is this good, this enjoyable, and this much fun, I'll take as much as you're willing to give, please and thank you.


4. THE JACKBOX PARTY PACK 4

The crew at Jackbox Games have done it again. I don't know how they continue to crank out such consistently  amazing content time after time after time after time, but they have indeed cranked out another project that may very well be their best party pack yet. 

We've all had the game night guest who refused to play along, declaring they're not good at games. "I'm fine just watching," they'll state, and stand against the back wall and just be weird.

Jackbox excels at party games that will have those wallflowers on their phones, playing along - either in the audience or as a main participant - within minutes and The Jackbox Party Pack 4 is no exception. 

With five (actually 5-1/2) games to choose from, there's something for everyone here. Yes, a couple of titles may take a playthrough to really get the gist of how the game works and what it wants you to do (i.e. Monster Seeking Monster, Survive the Internet) but once it clicks with everyone.... man, is it beautiful how it clicks. The laughs, the giggles, the surprises... all of it makes for an evening that people can't wait to do again, and you may find yourself genuinely surprised at how witty you didn't know some of your friends are.

In previous Party Pack releases there always seems to have been one game that never gets any love. For whatever reason, one of the titles included just doesn't seem to strike a chord and goes unexplored. That is not the case this time around. After countless game nights with a huge variety of friends in attendance, each game included is a home run. Bonus points to Jackbox for including special family-friendly and Twitch-streaming features. They want everyone to be able to enjoy the fun and man, do they ever.

3. UNCHARTED: THE LOST LEGACY

By now you should know that if the game in your hand includes any combination of the words "Naughty Dog" and/or "Uncharted," you've gotten your mitts on something good. Any trepidation fans felt by a new release in a series that - up until just a short time earlier - seemed to have been put to bed once and for all was erased within the first five minutes of gameplay. The sweeping visuals, the clever writing, and the top-tier acting reminded us that this is an Uncharted game, and Naughty Dog doesn't do a bad Uncharted game.

It was a smart move to take two favorite supporting characters from previous outings and pair them up together, especially when the characters may not have been the two most-obvious choices to join forces. What results is a project that is completely at home in the Uncharted universe while at the same time feeling like something brand new. There are familiar mechanics and nods to - and characters from - earlier installments, but you never get the sense of old hat. In fact, the opposite is true.

The story we're working with is too clever, too intriguing, and too unpredictable to let you get comfortable. If you think you know what's coming down the road - or path...or track...or tunnel - trust me, you don't. What you can count on is that it will be stunning to take in and you won't always know exactly whom you can trust. There are red herrings, double crosses, and - of course - puzzles. There are acting performances that will make you laugh out loud and stun you into silence. There are quiet moments that will leave you wondering why all games, movies, and TV aren't written this well and loud moments that will make the cat jump when an explosion is just a little too close for comfort. 

This is Uncharted after all, and like I said earlier... Naughty Dog doesn't do Uncharted bad.

2. SOUTH PARK: THE FRACTURED BUT WHOLE


Ubisoft strikes again with yet another game on the list that I fell in love with from genres (this time turned-based games AND superhero movies) that don't usually draw me in. Apparently if it's South Park, I'm willing to try new things, which is a bit frightening. If they release a Minecraft version of the cartoon town, I don't know what I'll do with myself.

I wasn't surprised by how much I enjoyed South Park: The Fractured But Whole because I had a blast playing the last venture, The Stick of Truth. Although there is the usual South Park humor, if the first game was a bit too boundary-pushing for you, rest assured that this one didn't go as far. Not to say that they didn't push any buttons or cross any lines, but you're certainly not doing things to poor Randy Marsh in this go-around similar to what he went through previously (I'm still wincing)

What really stood out to me in TFBW was not just the way they've updated the combat and introduced a complete arsenal of powers to choose from - and man, did they. It's so much fun! - but the farts, killer woodland animals, and battles against stoned towels can distract you from the fact there's a really good story being told here. By the time the last couple of scenes play out, you realize you've been duped. You haven't just been laughing at a crazy game that introduces one outrageous boss battle after another, you've been playing a genuinely well-written narrative. I shouldn't have been surprised. Both Ubisoft and the South Park crew excel at telling stories really well. I guess I'm just not used to laughing so hard while experiencing one.

1. WOLFENSTEIN II: THE NEW COLOSSUS

This game. 

This freakin' game.

I loved playing Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. Talk about well-written. Talk about an incredible voice acting cast. Talk about direction and editing and a genuinely fun experience. This game has it all. 

I loved the cut scenes. At moments introspective, quiet, and genuinely moving and at others laugh-out-loud hilarious at the mere outrageousness of it all. I loved the combat. There's nothing as satisfying as lugging around an empty weapon fueled by gasoline and accidentally stumbling upon a refill pump just when you needed one most. And let's be honest: The game couldn't have been timelier. Especially in today's political climate, it just feels good shooting Nazis in their stupid faces.

And then...

And then....

The final boss battle.

I recalled in the original Wolfenstein a similar situation. I had a great time playing the game and then got to the last fight and sssstrrrrrrrruuuuuuuggggggggggled. So much so that I never played the game again, despite how much fun I had leading up to that point. 

This time was no different. I got to the end and I raged and struggled and raged for three days trying to get the best of the baddies and I couldn't do it. I looked up people on YouTube who had made it through and returned to the game confident, only to be swatted down easily like the mere pesky fly I had been made to feel I was. I raged some more. I struggled some more. I wished I was better at video games. I made sure Sarah wasn't in the house and swore up a storm. I made up swear words that impressed even myself with their creativity. And then I raged and struggled and swore some more.

Why didn't I just quit? I've definitely given up on games before and I've given up on games way sooner and for way less.  So why not this time around?

Because this game was just too good. I had enjoyed my time in the world so much up to this point, I couldn't give up on it now. I couldn't. 

And I didn't.

Eventually, by some miracle, I busted through and beat the game. I rejoiced. I threw up my hands and shouted, "I'm never playing this game again!!!" but I shouted it with a big, dumb grin on my face. The final cut scenes made the struggle worth while and the payoff was a good one. 

Have I played it again? Technically yes. Along the way you can unlock some side missions that I've since gone back and enjoyed but the main story? No, I haven't done a second playthrough. 

Will I? I'm inclined to say no because I know what's waiting for me. 

But on the other hand....that game was so much fun....

No comments: