Saturday, November 26, 2005

Defending Your Life

We've all been there. You're browsing for a movie to rent and come across a classic that you used to love so you bring it home, watch it, and realize it's actually a pretty bad movie. So not only have you watched a bad movie, but you've also tainted your memory of a good movie experience. You used to like it and now...not so much.Sometimes they just don't hold up well over time. Were they bad to begin with and you didn't realize it, or has your taste changed that much? Or maybe a little bit of both?

That's happened to me with Bram Stoker's Dracula,Three O'Clock High, and - dare I say it- Spaceballs.

I borrowed from the library a little movie I used to love called Defending Your Life starring Albert Brooks, Meryl Streep, and Rip Torn and I am more than happy to say I still love it just as much. What a great little gem of a film. Witty and poignant, with something interesting to say about how fear controls our lives. Top notch filmmaking. And I'm not really a Meryl Streep fan.

If you find yourself with some time to spare this holiday season, check it out. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: