Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Ashes Wednesday

This week has not been a fun work week. We have been siding a house this week and that's just not my favorite thing in the world to do. On top of that, we have been starting work an hour earlier each day but still stopping at the usual time, so on top of an already long work day I now get a work day that's an hour longer.

It's the middle of the week and it's starting to catch up with me. Today at work I was bored, cranky, tired, and hungry. By the time noon finally rolled around I was starving. Usually for lunch we'll run somewhere and grab a bite to eat but today the guy we were working for offered to cook us burgers. A nice enough gesture, but I just wanted to get away for a bit; I'm getting sick of being there and a few minutes elsewhere would have been a nice change.

He grilled Dad and I two burgers each and we all sat around his picnic table as we prepped our sandwiches. I had added all of the toppings to my burgers and just as I was about to put the bun on top a wind picked up.

On the table was an ashtray. And....you guessed it...I watched as hundreds of little ash particles flew directly onto my burgers; it looked like I went on a pepper rampage.

And that was the last straw in an already draining day. The first thought that came into my mind was (no lie), "So I guess I'm having cigarettes for lunch."

No one else saw happened and I accepted my fate without saying a word. That's right. That's the kind of state of mind I was in. I put the buns on top of my two sandwiches and ate my entire lunch.

No comments: