Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Indie Comics

Indie comics annoy the heck out of me.

You know those "cool" indie magazines that every city has...a lot of times it's the city's paper that lists all of the happenings for the weekend or what have you (here in Nashville, it's "The Nashville Scene"). And toward the back of the paper right before the ads for bi and lesbian couples they have a page of comics that are too cool for me. The main character is usually a triangle with a beret and a little bug sidekick that go around doing nothing and making remarks about it, pretending to be deeper and more insightful than it really is. Usually it's barely even a cartoon because each panel is crammed with so many words, there isn't any room for the artist left to draw in.

Like they'll be at the grocery store and Triangle Head says "Hey do you know that the gorvernment is watching everything we do?" and the bug will say, "It's true." And then a guy who looks like a cartoon from the '50s will pop his head in and say, "That's right folks! The government hates you but now I have Brill Creme!" and in the last panel Triangle Head says "But the beaurocratic sense of development sure can't compare to the investigative crack journalism I see everyday on my local news affiliate!"

These things don't annoy me because they're comics yet aren't funny or interesting or because they are so presumptuous. It's not the fact that it's not even really a comic but a rant (and I don't mind rants...that's what THIS is...but the fact that they are trying to disguise their rant as a comic is insulting).

I think the fact that annoys me the most is that I know they are getting paid to draw and write bad comics.

No fair.

No comments: