Monday, June 26, 2006

Hello Again

Wow, look at that. Almost 20 days since my last blog. So much has happened yet I feel to lazy to encapsulate all of it. But for you, dear reader, I shall try.

I'm now in my own little upstairs apartment in Auburn, IN. It's about 3 miles from Garrett, the little town I grew up in. It's a neat little apartment, one bedroom, nothing fancy, yet just the way I like it. It'll give me a chance to save money and that's always a plus.

I've been working for Dad as the radio gig here didn't pan out. But it's cool. I'm not at all upset or bitter about it. I know I'm back home again for a reason and now I'm just trying to figure out what that reason is.

In the meantime I've had a blast hanging out with my brother Ray, his wife Piper, and their little girl Valencia. I've really missed having the chance to see them on a regular basis. One of the things I was determined to do while I was here was work on filming and editing and Ray and I have been able to make that happen.

Back in 1992 before I moved away from home we filmed a silly little movie called TEROCUS about a superhero who has the power to make hammers appear out of nowhere. Since my return to Indiana we've decided to turn TEROCUS into a series, and we began filming the first season (which will be 6 episodes). The original Terocus and first episode of the new season is here on my YouTube website. Check it out, and enjoy the inanity.

By day I've been working with Dad painting houses and what-have-you and it's given me some good time to think all day about story ideas for other films, plotlines, et cetera. I'm also looking forward to working with a buddy of mine on an idea for a film. He lives on the other side of the country, but I've done that kind of long distance co-writing before with my good buddy Ed Doney with pretty impressive results, and I'm looking forward to collaborating again.

The point is, I'm able to keep my creative juices flowing while I'm back in Hoosier country. I'm still getting used to the Indiana slang and phrasing. "Pop" instead of "soda" (although I think I'll stick with "soda"), "sack" instead of "bag" (neither one of these words is really much more appealing than the other), and that God-awful phrase, "couple-three" (as in "Did you pick up some apples?" "Yeah, I got a couple-three.").

One of the Indiana sights that I had totally forgotten about and it brought back a huge rush of nostalgia is the fogger truck. Every summer this huge truck drives around town spewing this cloud of anti-mosquito spray into the air and this thick cloud just kind of hangs in the air. Kind of like an ice cream truck. Just creeping along, spraying this mystery chemical around. Just like ice cream trucks do. I recall, very much against our parents' wishes, rushing out into the street into the cloud of spray to make sure we would be protected against the wretched bugs. How none of us ever got tagged by a moving car while we pranced in the thick vapor is still a mystery to me.

And that's where I am for now. Things are good. I'm not where I thought I would be a year ago, but when I stop and think about it, I can pretty much say that for every stage in my life and I have no real complaints. The adventure continues, and we can either drag our heels and let it pull us against our will or we can buckle up, throw our hands into the air, and enjoy the ride.

Let's do this.

No comments: