Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pink Slipped Away

Conclusion


A couple of weeks ago I wrote a blog about trying to get a copy of my pink slip from when I was fired at my job at a record label. The reason for trying to get a copy was because of what was written under "Reason for Termination": No radio experience. (For those of you who didn't bother to read the other blog, I had just finished a 3-year stint in radio before coming on board.)

My pal Brad put me in touch with Sara at Gotee Records to see about getting a copy of my paperwork and she was really cool about it. Alas, I heard back from her today and although they did indeed find my file, my pink slip is nowhere to be found inside.

I have to admit, I'm a little depressed about it. Why? I'll explain by giving you some true stories:

  • Walt Disney was once fired by a newspaper editor because "he lacked imagination and had no good ideas."

  • After Harrison Ford's first performance in movies, the studio vice-president called him into his office and said, "You ain't got it kid , you ain't got it ... now get out of here."

  • Charles Schultz had every one of the comics he submitted to his high school newspaper rejected .

  • A memo written in 1933 by an MGM testing director after Fred Astaire's first screen test said, "Can't act. Can't sing. Slightly bald. Can dance a little." Astaire actually had the memo framed and placed over his fireplace.


Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I'm better than or even nearly as good as any of the people I mentioned above but man, I really wanted my own little piece of irony to hang on the wall.

2 comments:

Brad said...

Did I ever tell you that I applied at EMI-CMG before I became an intern at Gotee and I got the typical rejection letter? I had kept it for a long time cuz I thought it was funny too considering I ended up running my own label distributed by EMI-CMG.

Danielle Williams said...

You are funny and articulate!
I can't believe they let you go.

Danielle