Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Coffee Idiots

Coming home from the library today I passed the corner of 7th and 42nd. At that corner is one of the smallest Starbucks I've ever seen. I never go there because there's always a line and nowhere to sit. It's very wee.

As I approached I saw a long line of people stretching out the door and around the corner. Bear in mind there were no special promotions going on, people just wanted coffee. And also bear in mind I am in New York city, not back home in Garrett where the nearest starbucks is like 20 minutes away. In the city the nearest Starbucks is like 20 paces away.

On the way home I passed 4 (count 'em, four) other Starbucks locations. And it only took me about 6 or 7 minutes to get home. I can't imagine needing coffee so bad that I'd wait in a 30-minute line but also being so lazy that I won't walk across the street to get it.

But wait Ed, you might think, maybe they were tourists and didn't know where the nearest Starbucks was.

Maybe they were tourists. In that case, let them stand in line. The longer we can keep them diverted in Starbucks instead of standing in the middle of the sidewalk blocking traffic the better.

No comments: