Friday, August 04, 2006

Legally Hoosier

I was able to go and get my Indiana driver's license this week. Seeing as how my old Tennessee license expired in November, I guess I was due. Ha! But I was living in New York City, and you don't need a car there, so I never wanted to spend the money to renew my license for nothing (I was using my passport as my I.D.).

This week I finally had a little extra time to run by the DMV (excuse me, the BMV here in Indiana) and get legally licensed. Because I was switching my license from another state, I had to take the written test. That always makes me nervous, because I never know what they're going to ask on there. But I'll be darned if I'm actually gonna read through the driver's manual. Let's do this.

I was allowed to miss 6 questions. I wonder how close I got. One of them was:

Drivers licenses issued to people 21 years of age and younger are:

A. Considered temporary licenses
B. Means the driver must be accompanied by a driver 21 years of age or older for the first 90 days
C. Must wear seat belts at all times
D. All answers are correct

I thought this might be a trick question. Mainly because it has nothing to do with me. What does this question have to do with how well I can operate my vehicle? This isn't a test of my driving ability, it's just Indiana Motorist Trivia. There was also a question about drivers 16 years of age and again, impertinent to me. So instead of filling in a circle with my answer, I carved my name into the desk.

Another fun question was "What is the legal speed limit on a county State road?" Allow me to answer your question with a question of my own: "What in the world is a county State road?" My options were 50, 55, 60, and 65. I chose 50 because Indiana is slow.

Later on they asked what the speed limit is on a county road. I was pretty sure the answer was 50, so I changed the answer to the other question figuring they couldn't both be 50. I changed my answer to my brother's name carved into the desk.

After all was said and done, I passed and am now legally allowed to operate a large vehicle at a high rate of speed.

Or at least at 50mph.

No comments: