Thursday, August 03, 2006

Miami (Yawn) Vice

Went to see Miami Vice with Dad the other night. I never saw the show on TV so I wasn't too incredibly jazzed to see the film, but thought I'd give it a try. It's not one of those TV-into-film shows where you have to be a fan of the show to "get it." In fact, aside from the name "Sonny," as far as I could tell, it didn't have anything else in common with the show. It might as well have been called Bad Boys III (except without the humor or action or appeal). The movie is basically an hour and a half of Colin Ferrell in sex scenes (I'm not that desperate, thank you) and then 10 minutes of shooting bad guys (They don't even draw their guns until the end? Can this movie be any more boring? Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of "talky" films as long as what they're talking about is interesting [as in Glengarry Glenn Ross]. But I was hoping for something to jump in and wake me up).

I guess I'm just not a fan of director Michael Mann. Like his movie Collateral, that had a lot of cool shots of LA at night, there are a lot of cool shots of Miami at night in Vice. But Tom Cruise with gray hair wasn't enough to save Collateral, and Colin Ferrell in bed certainly didn't save Miami Vice.

Where's Talladega Nights when you need it?

No comments: