Friday, December 24, 2010

Cool Cops

This post is a follow-up to my earlier post where I mentioned our car got broken into. I called the police to file a report this afternoon and not long after that I was downstairs in the parking lot, talking with two officers.

They were still in the squad car. I approached the passenger side of the car and said hello to the officers, a man and a woman. He was in the driver's seat and looked like Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite. She was in the passenger seat and looked like Ana-Lucia from Lost. Ana-Lucia was writing down my information and asking me questions as Pedro silently looked on.

She asked about the security cameras, what time we got home last night, what my 40GB iPod looked like, and told me that someone across the street also reported a car break-in today.

All the while, Pedro didn't say a thing.

Finally, we neared the end of the conversation, and Ana-Lucia told me it was pretty slim they would recover my iPod. I told them I understood and then added, "Well, if you catch a bad guy who all of a sudden knows a bunch of Weird Al songs, then you have your guy."

Ana-Lucia smiled and laughed as she wrote down the case info on a card for me. And that's when Pedro finally spoke. He leaned over toward me and said, "That's a lot of polka."

I never laughed out loud at a cop before. It was refreshing.

No comments: