Thursday, September 04, 2008

Life of Reilly

The odd thing about being a video editor is how I get close to people who aren't even aware it's happening.

Whether it's an artist or someone in the community, they may come in to the station or we may be out at a concert, someone else interviews them while I film the goings-on. After that I take the footage back to the office and literally spend hours and hours editing the interview. After a bit I start to get the sense that I really know who these people are. I pore over their every word and gesture, looking for the best angle and what-have-you, dialing in on their anecdotes, and suddenly I've spent all of this quality time with them. It's like they're hanging out with ME and not the pesky interviewer! I feel like we're best buds and as far as they know, I'm Biff the anonymous camera guy (when, in reality, I'm the anonymous camera guy Ed).

It's a very one-way relationship I have going on with these people.

Recently I've been forging a false friendship with my new favorite band, Reilly. John Reilly and Dan Huie hung out with us backstage at the Purple Door festival and they were a lot of fun. Their interview was incredible in that I was able to turn it into five different videos: a legitimate meet-the-band type interview, and four funny vignettes that give a little insight into their quirky sense of humor.

They're all available on the station's YouTube site. As of this writing, I haven't posted the final two short films...I'm saving the other two to sprinkle in throughout the next couple of weeks. And, if you don't wanna go all the way over to YouTube, you can watch the videos here.

First, the short funny ones:












And then the regular interview interview:






And now you know why they're my new favorite band and my new friends by an extreme technicality.

No comments: