Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Twilight: A Spoiler-Filled Review

I meant what I said in the subject line. This blog includes spoilers. Consider yourself warned.


I'll be honest: I never heard of the "Twilight" book series by Stephenie Meyer until I started seeing articles in Entertainment Weekly over the past few weeks touting it as the new rage and Harry Potter's replacement. I decided to pick up the first book, "Twilight", and see what all the fuss was about. Despite the fact that it sometimes read like a romance novel written from a 14-year-old girls' perspective (I've never read a romance novel, nor have I read a novel written by a 14-year-old girl, so this is complete conjecture), it was actually an extremely quick read and I flew through it. And then I read through the other 3 books as well and again, they're all really quick reads. Sarah, who readily admits she hasn't read a book since "The Mummy" in 6th grade, even got into it and found herself tearing through the books, too.

To save you the time of reading the 1700+ pages, let me re-cap:

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)


Hi. I'm a girl. I'm angsty. Oh wait. There's this really hot guy in my new school. He's sooooooo dreamy. OOoooooooo.

(Repeat for 400 pages)

Oh wow! Turns out he's a vampire. But oh I still love him even though I know I shouldn't.

I shouldn't.

Oh, but I do.

Oh, but I shouldn't.

Oh, but I do.

(Repeat for 5 more chapters)

Oh no! It's almost the end of the book! I think I'll get chased by a bad vampire to give this book something to do and end with action and a thrilling climax!

New Moon (The Twilight Saga, Book 2)


Ohhhhhhh my vampire crush moved away.........Life is sooooooooo horrible.......how will I live........ohhhhhh... woe is me......woe is FREAKIN me.............

(Repeat for 8 chapters)

I think I'll start hanging out with this OTHER guy who turns out to be a werewolf! He's so different than that vampire. But ohhhhhhh I love the vampire.

But now I think I love the werewolf.

But my heart is with the vampire.

But I love the werewolf.

But not really because I love the vampire.

But the werewolf is my true love.

Except for the vampire who I miss soooooooo much.

(Repeat for 500 pages)

Oh no! Almost the end of the book! I better bring back the vampire so he and the werewolf can yell at each other for 11 more chapters and then get threatened by a bunch of scary vampires and have nothing actually come of it!!

Eclipse (The Twilight Saga, Book 3)


Oh nooooo. I'm such an angsty girl and now the vampire and the werewolf are both here and ohhhhh I love them both. So I'll tell the vampire I love him and hang out and kiss him and then hang out with the werewolf but we won't kiss we'll only hold hands and of course the vampire is so wussy he won't even care.

Kiss the vampire.

Hold hands with the werewolf.

Kiss the vampire.

Tell the werewolf I love him.

Kiss the vampire.

Try to figure out why the werewolf doesn't get that I don't want to be with him as I tell him I love him and hold his hand some more.

(Repeat for 500 pages)

Oh no!!! A whole bunch of bad vampires!! Let's fight them all!! The end.

Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, Book 4)


Oh, being married to the vampire is soooooo amazing. I think we'll have crazy crazy vampire-on-human sex! It's ok, we're married now. Because if we weren't, having sex with the undead would just be weird. Ooooooo I sure do like all the love makin'! In fact, I think I'll make love to him for the first 200 pages!!

Oh no, I'm pregnant!! How did that happen? And with a vampire baby! It scratches my belly and breaks my ribs when it kicks. Ouch!!! Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch!!! Oh the pain!!! The pain!!!!!!!!!!! I know what will make it easier on you, the reader: I'll be in horrible horrible labor for the next 700 pages.

Oh I have a baby now. I love her! And the werewolf fell in love with her (For real. The werewolf is in love with an infant mutant baby)! What could possibly go wrong??

Oh no!! It's the end! All the bad vampires from around the world are here to kill me and my baby!!!!!!! Oh no!!!! What should we do!!!!!!!! I know! Instead of having an exciting, dramatic climax, where we all fight and put an end to their evil vampire ways I'll just be like, "You guys are wrong, my baby is cool." And they'll be like, "Oh yea, your baby IS pretty cool. My bad. See ya."

Yeah. That ending is MUCH better.

I just realized this blog makes it sound like I didn't like the books. Obviously, since I read them all, that's not true. I liked them all except the last one. But when you capsulize these tomes in a quick, sarcastic blog, they're gonna end up sounding pretty ridiculous. And I guess they kind of are.

***UPDATE: Apparently Australians don't appreciate my book reviews. Read more about that RIGHT HERE.

10 comments:

tinkerbells said...

Wow, actually your review just says everything! Pretty cool cause it's exactly the way I felt about the books. And yeah, I do love the first ones a lot....

johnsallen said...

That was amazing and useful. I feared this may be the case and you have caused me the great relief of not wasting my time on this whole thing. Big Ups to the Placenicas

Karen said...

Hey Eddie! Thanks for saving me the time and money to buy the books. I know I would like your version much better anyway.

ashlea said...

wow. stop with the sarcasm eddie, you totally loved those books, and you and sarah now pretend that on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays you're the vampire and on the weekends the werewolf.

TWLIGHT said...

eddie how old are u?

TWLIGHT said...

REALLY?

J L J said...

Hilarious! Thank you for the quick synopsis. I now feel better not completing the entire series since I am not getting too into the 1st book. Again, thanks for your funny and concise summary!

jacob lover said...

wow u ruined the book you left out some dramatice details next time get it right

jacob lover said...

btw you suck oh and jacob and bella kiss in the third book just to let you know

kelly said...

wow!!
u rock!!!
there is soo much bad karma on this website!!!
yep, ur summary was fantastic!!