Friday, March 13, 2009

The Adventures of the Luck Monkey

My old college buddy Ed and I have always found monkeys highly entertaining. While visiting a zoo one summer, Ed sent me a great souvenir: a brochure advertising their latest addition, Bruisa the Luck Monkey. It was accompanied by a photo of the most miserable looking little monkey ever in captivity. I did a Google search on Bruisa to include a picture in this blog, but it appears Bruisa the Luck Monkey was too miserable to ever have demanded any photographic evidence.

I told you that to tell you this...

In the summer of 1992 I was 21 years old and had packed up all of my belongings and was moving to California to be a movie star. On the way there I stopped in Oklahoma City to visit Ed for a few days. My first night there we stayed up really late making a bunch of ridiculous short films, most of which will never see the light of day (if Ed has anything to do with it). But some of them - the ones that don't have Ed in front of the camera - are now online and available for my friends to enjoy (?) for the first time.

One of them featured a parody of the then-popular Ziploc commercials featuring a stupid character, Fingerman. Our dreams of killing this annoying character over and over again finally came to fruition.






And then there's Bruisa the Luck Monkey. I can't honestly say how we came up with the idea of me fighting a number of Ed's stuffed animals or why I was going to be Bruisa the Luck Monkey. In fact, we blame the activities of that night on too much Pepsi and staying-up-too-late-ness.


But if the following trilogy brings you a smile, then it was all worth it.











No comments: