Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Top 10 Movies of 2009...and Then Some (Keith Soljacich Edition)

It's my pleasure again to send out my top 10 movies and more!  Take a read and let me know what you think... am I crazy, am I nuts, am I right?  Remember, enjoyment of movies is subjective and personal.  What I liked, you may not.  What you liked, I may not.  It's a free country bub and I love movies.

My Top 10 of 2009
1. Avatar - Marvelous.  One of the 3 best cinema experiences of my life.  I'll bet you a billion dollars 3D is the future of movies now.  Cameron would probably double-down.
2. District 9 - A director who absolutely owned his flick
3. Inglorious Basterds - I'm a sucker for Quentin, but so were a lot of other people
4. Star Trek - A solid solid solid action/sci-fi movie, and the second Trek movie I've seen (I saw the whale one when it came out, hence).  Just goes to show why JJ should have directed the prequels.
5. The Hurt Locker - Have you seen this?  You will.  Intense is an understatement.
6. The Hangover - Hysterical, funniest movie of the year.
7. Watchmen - Don't get me wrong and excellent movie but was missing that "thing"
8. Invictus - Morgan Freeman as Mandela.  I think this was Eastwood's middle finger to Spike Lee
9. The Messenger - Emotional roller-coaster ride of the year.  Tough movie to watch, but unforgettable
10. Gentlemen Broncos - I was one of 3 people in the theater laughing.  It's a cupcake for nerds.

My Predicted Top 10 From January 2008 and my comments at the time (comments now)
1. Watchmen - Unbelievable this is coming out, will be fantastic (Damn good but not #1)
2. Avatar - James Cameron is back, filmed in IMAX 3D (Wish I had placed this #1...so awesome)
3. Inglorious Basterds - New Tarantino (Yup - BADASS)
4. Observe & Report - Trust me (Pretty good but overall a disappointment)
6. Funny People - New Apatow flick with Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen about stand-up comedians (Ditto)
6. Wolverine - Looks good bub (Uck, this was a HUGE letdown)
7. Bruno - New Sacha Baron Cohen (Borat) movie, completes the Ali G trifecta (Damn funny, but not Top 10 material)
8. Terminator Salvation - John Conner+Christian Bale=Badass (Really good, I like it but not Top 10)
9. Public Enemies - Johnny Depp as John Dillinger, Michael Mann, filmed in Chicago, all good (Big Letdown... I was bored)
10. Shutter Island - New Scorcese flick takes place on an island that houses a prison for the insane (Didn't come out in 2009 so doesn't count)

Movies I Wish I Had Seen:
Where The Wild Things Are
Moon
Bronson
Up In The Air
The Road
The Lovely Bones
Ninja Assasin
Mystery Team

Movies I Will Never See (Ever):
Did You Hear About The Morgans?
Whip It
Taking of Pelham 123
The Soloist

My Top TV Series in 2009
1. LOST - Until it ends
2. Curb Your Enthusiasm - Danny Dooberstein!
3. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - 2009 was the year I finally gave in and I'm glad
4. Mad Men - Sit Down, Shut The Door best episode of TV this year
5. Eastbound & Down - So consistently funny
6. 30 Rock
7. The Office
8. Breaking Bad
9. Chuck
10. Fringe

Top 10 Movies To Look For in 2010

1. Iron Man 2 - WAR MACHINE
2. Kick Ass - Haven't heard of it?  You will.
3. Slammin Salmon - New one from the Super Troopers gang.  I'm a sucker for comedy.
4. Shutter Island - New Scorcese, been on hold for a bit
5. Alice in Wonderland (IMAX 3D) - Sure
6. MacGruber - The movie's in good hands and anyone who's seen Will Forte on anything but SNL knows he's a loon
7. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - In the capable hands of Edgar Wright.  Might be the geekiest movie ever made
8. Predators - Sold
9. Inception - New Chris Nolan (Dark Knight) movie
10. Toy Story 3D - I'm a sucker for 3D
1,248. Twilight: The Turd One - Will they or won't they?  Who cares!

Am I Crazy?  2011 will be awesome!!!
1. Ghostbusters 3
2. Captain America
3. Thor
4. The Hobbit Part 1
5. Anchorman 2
6. The Hangover 2
7. Dinner For Schmucks
8. Sucker Punch
9. Green Lantern
10. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hollows Part 2

OK I'm Insane!!! 2012: The World Ends!!!!  Will Email Still Exist?
1. Batman 3 - Definitely
2. The Avengers - Definitely
3. Avatar 2?
4. The Hobbit Part 2
5. Indiana Jones 5
6. Kill Bill 3?
7. X-Men First Class
8. Spiderman Reboot - Not sure if this will be good yet

What do you think?  What were your 10 best?

1 comment:

NJN Public Television said...

From another Ed...

Great lists, I love the comparison from the predictions list. Two things:

1. Why no Tron Legacy on the 2010 list?

2. I 100% agree, #1 in 2011 will be Ghostbusters 3 (or whatever year it comes out)