Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Anthony

[caption id="attachment_1672" align="aligncenter" width="400" caption="Anthony, me, Glen, and Randy in the back. Ray and Ricky are proudly in front."][/caption]

I got to know my younger cousin Anthony while I was living in Ridgecrest, CA. Anthony is a few years younger than I am, but he's still a lot of fun to be around and we always found some kind of crazy shenanigans to get into. One of my favorite memories of hanging around with "Antone" was a weird, crazy game we somehow invented. It didn't even have a name, but I guess it could be called Don't Get Hit By The Ball.

We found a paddle-ball ball that had come unattached from the paddle itself (it was still attached to the elastic string, though). One of the rooms in his house was pretty tiny and we somehow discovered that, if you tied the free end of the elastic string to one of the blades of the ceiling fan in the room, the string would stretch far enough that the ball would madly ricochet off the walls.

So, of course, we tied the ball to one of the blades, turned on the fan, and did our best to not get pelted. Did I mention this was at night? And did I mention that, to heighten the inanity, we turned off all of the lights so we couldn't see where the ball was at? And did I mention we turned the fan on "HIGH"?

It was amazing.

1 comment:

Uncle John said...

Good story about the fan, but how did you get away with that (uncle Gene must not have been there). I Love Anthony, he was always a good boy and has grown to be a mature adult. He has a beautiful daughter as is his wife Dawn. Anthony was over my house when I lived in Ridgecrest (1996) and all the young guys were showing off by the pool when everyone tried to see who could climb the big tall sycamore tree the highest. Well Anthony won hands down. I was a daring person in my youth but he was high to the point it kinda scared me. I asked him to climb down but there were too many others present for him to climb down right away so he just stayed up there looking at me. I didn't know how long this was going to last and I never had to yell at Anthony ever and I wasn't about to start now. But I had an ace,.. (Mamacita)! Haha, I simply went inside and told my tiny Mama what was going on and she came outside fuming! She yelled Anthony! You get down right now! How cool, Anthony was down in seconds. I thought then what a good trick, you see Anthony knew he didn't have to respond to me right away, but no one ignores Mamacita! I'm proud of the tremendous respect and love Anthony shows his father (Gene) and Vicky and his mother Yolanda. Thanks again Eddie, another great job!