Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Balance of Anna and Indy

There are some people who maintain the belief that there is only so much good and evil in the universe, only a certain amount of room to hold these two entities, and it is the job of the universe to uphold that balance. Many people who hold this belief are a little...I don't know, let's say "touched." Johnny Depp's character in Once Upon A Time In Mexico is a prime example. At a Mexican restaurant he enjoys a dish (Puerco Pibil, in case you're interested. And yes, I know how to make it) that is so good he feels the only way to balance it out is to kill the chef. Something as extraordinary as this pork dish cannot exist in the world without something else good in the world paying the price for it.

I'm not trying to be offensive or insensitive. It's not my intention to say something controversial just to say it and be controversial. But I have to be honest with you, my friends and faithful readers, when I say I was reminded of the balance between good and...not so good today when I saw two very different headlines. It was honestly the first thing that came to mind. I shall present the headlines to you and then let you be the judge on whether or not there really is a battle for this balance being fought.

"Anna Nicole Smith found dead."

"Release date for 4th Indiana Jones movie announced."

Balance, people. It's all about balance.

No comments: