Friday, February 19, 2016

Mug Shots - Slospeak

When I was living in Nashville, I was fortunate enough to make the acquaintance of a guy named Davy. He's the kind of person you wish there were more of in the world: kind-hearted, generous, giving of himself and his time, and genuinely concerned for the well-being of others. 

I especially found this to be true when I was going through what was arguably the lowest point of my life. At the time my pride kept me from opening up to others about what I was going through, but Davy wouldn't have any of that. He was there to listen when I needed to bend an ear and speak wisdom to me when I needed to hear it most. 

Fast forward a few years. 

I had since moved out of the area and it had been way too long since Davy and I had seen each other. I had started up a podcast called Foot in the Door, a series of interviews conducted with people whose life stories intrigued me. When I knew my travels would once again take me to Tennessee, a sit-down with Davy was at the top of my list. 

My conversation with Davy isn't the only thing I took back with me on my return trip to Pennsylvania. Also a coffee aficionado, Davy presented me with this Slospeak Records mug after we had finished recording (but not before first sharing a cup of joe in his kitchen to talk about everything that wasn't fit for public consumption).

I love this mug. 

It reminds me of Davy and our friendship, yes, but it also reminds me of what friendship should be. It reminds me to not take my friends for granted; that not admitting I need help or a hand is a selfish place to be, especially when I have people around me who genuinely want to help. All of these thoughts - and more - go through my head whenever I use this mug. 

I'm sure when Davy gave me this memento from the record label he was heading up at the time he had no idea how much it would mean to me. But I wouldn't be surprised if he did. He's just that good a friend.

No comments: