Sunday, July 16, 2006

"The Office" Promo

If you watch NBC's The Office or ever swing by my YouTube site, you may have seen the promos for a new contest. Basically, they are asking people to make a promo for The Office, exactly 20 seconds long, and submit it to them. They'll pick 3 grand prize winners to air on NBC after an episode of the sitcom. No cash and prizes, but a chance for some real bragging rights.

I spent some time yesterday with my brother Ray, his wife Piper, my cousin Rich, and Dad. They were my cast for the project, and yes, I resisted the urge to put myself in it so I could concentrate on directing & editing, and it only took us about 30 minutes to film, (I mean come on, the finished project is only 20 seconds long)!

I sat down tonight to edit and, after assembling all of the footage I wanted to use, it clocked in at about two-and-a-half minutes. Zoinks! This was a lot tougher than I imagined. Shaving off two minutes and ten seconds, while still trying to keep the humor and the gist was quite a task. But I think I did OK.

So we'll see. Right now 96 people have submitted a video. If you think about it, that's really not a lot, so maybe we have a shot. You aren't allowed to view the other videos, but you can browse and see a still photo taken from the other entries. All I'm saying is, pretty much all of the other entries take place in an office. I took the opposite approach and we'll see if being a little different pays off.

After they declare a winner, if it ain't me, I'll make it available for everyone to see (right now the videos have to be marked "Private" so only the contest honchos can see them). I'll keep you posted. Wish us luck!

No comments: