Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Pitcher Perfect

The older people get, the more they tend to forget things and generally go insane. The trouble is most of them don't realize it; they usually think everyone else around them is to blame. If we were aware of that exact moment when we start to lose it then maybe it would help make the transition to senility a little easier.
Yesterday, I had my moment.

But at least I know it.

Piper, my sister-in-law, was going to do some grocery shopping and Ray asked me if I needed her to pick up anything for me. He asked me to email him a list of things she should look for. Because it's been so warm lately, I've really been in the mood for some Mexican summer fruit drinks I'm fond of making. However, I had nothing to make the drinks in and so I decided to put that on the list.

But when I sat down at the computer, I couldn't think of the word pitcher. And the thing that lets me know that I am going crazy is the fact that I didn't sit and rack my brain trying to think of the word. It didn't even occur to me that there was such a word. I remember thinking to myself That's so odd that thing doesn't have a name. And I just accepted it as fact.

So, on my email list to my brother, there are limes, oranges, grapefruit, sugar...and a big plastic container that you make drinks in like lemonade or Kool-Aid. All because I forgot the word pitcher existed.

Amazingly, Ray and Piper knew what I was talking about, and she got me a large plastic pitcher. And because they knew just what I meant, I guess they're going crazy, too.

No comments: