Thursday, May 25, 2006

Eat Your Heart Out, John Cougar Mellencamp

I was born in a small town...

...and then I moved away and lived in a bunch of big towns and then moved back to a small town and am really getting a kick out of it. So many things I probably saw a million times but never noticed. Just a completely different outlook.

I was talking to my buddy Dan in NYC and he told me he was getting visions of Doc Hollywood in his head. It's not that bad, but you can see it from here.

First of all, everyone waves. After spending time driving in LA traffic and walking the streets of New York I have grown accustomed to making eye contact with no one. And now all of a sudden people want me to wave at them. I don't want to wave at them. I just want to go.

So, Indiana friends, if you see me in a car and wave at me and I don't wave back, don't take offense. Chances are, I didn't even see you.

I also found out that the tousled just-got-outta bed look that was so prevalent in NY and Nashville is just that here in Indiana. It looks like you just got out of bed. And that's not a good thing.

This morning as I walked outside to head to work with Dad he said "You look terrible!"

"I do?" I asked.

"You look like you just woke up! You didn't shave! And why don't you comb your hair!" (Granted, without being able to hear his inflection he probably comes off sounding like a grumpy old man and that's totally not who he is; we Placencias are known for giving each other a hard time for anything we can think of).

We then went to have breakfast at a small local restaurant and the Police Captain (an old friend of the family) came in. Dad said, "You remember my son Ed, don't you?"

And without pausing, the guy looked at me and said, "Sure I do. It looks like you shaved with a Hershey bar."

And people wonder why this smalltown kid grew up and got into comedy.

No comments: