Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Scared and Tan

So far, so good.

My time back home in Indiana has been very enjoyable. Yesterday I got straight to work helping out Dad with the business (although that sentence makes it sound like we have mob ties (I wish) I'm actually assisting with his painting business). That's right. No slouch here. I was up bright and early, ready to go, and ready to scrape and prime.

After a hard day's work Dad and I went home, cleaned up, and headed over to Auburn to catch my brother Ray's softball game. It was good to see him, his wife, and my little niece again. Afterwards Dad took us out to eat at my aunt's restaurant and I got to see my cousin Glen there working (or as close as he gets to actual work).

We closed the place down and then made our way to Ray's house. My lifelong buddy Todd showed up (we've known each other since we were 5) and we all had a nice time reconnecting and reminiscing.

Today I went in to the radio station for a bit of a meet and greet sort of thing. Apparently the guy there who told them he was leaving (he told them he was out the door about a month ago) still hasn't left, so the position I am waiting to fill isn't open yet. I had a great talk with the PD, though, and he had me go into the studio to record some test liners and what-have-you. He seemed very interested in my production work and even took me back into his office so he could re-watch all of my videos that I have online. So that was kinda cool. I ended up being there for over an hour. So right now the radio thing is on a wait-and-see basis, but he assured me as soon as the guy leaves and the slot is open, it's mine.

I wasn't too disappointed to not have a definite time frame. At least I'm working and making some money and that was definitely part of the plan when I moved here. I'm hoping to be able to move into an apartment soon (crashing at Dad's in the meantime, but Ed needs his dancing space) and also still on the lookout for a cheap car so any money flow coming in is good.

Today at work I faced my fear of heights again. For those of you who dont know, it's pretty bad. I'm good on a 6-foot stepladder but anything higher than that is pushing it. And today I faced the 24-foot scaffolding.

Good night was I freaked out. Fortunately Dad knows how paralyzing my fear is so he was cool about it. He had to go run some errands and left me to prime some spots on this house on the scaffolding. "Just get what you can and I'll get the rest," he told me. I tried to get a lot. But I didn't.

Climbing up there was no problem. I was zipping up like nobody's business. The problem was when I finally got to the top and had to sit up there and do work. The slight wobbling with every move; the constant inner thoughts reminding me how high I was; I totally psyched myself out. I was really angry with myself for being so freaked out, but my fear was stronger than my anger and it won out. I only got a pathetic amount done before climbing back down and I knew it was lame.

Stupid fear of heights.

Oh well. At least I'm getting tan.

No comments: